Iran, Again: Begging for a Smell Test

…and it ain’t passing

Okay, I’ve been trying very hard to ignore the latest on Iran: Roxana’s highly publicized and dubious adventure (begging for a smell test), the pre-elections predictions making their way even onto the Sunday Talk Shows (A great Smell Test Indicator), and of course now, the intense and loud coverage of the post elections drama (The Smelliest of Alll)…

Why would I try to ignore this? Not because I am not interested in Iran, Iran Politics, or Iranians. Hey, I lived there for eight years. I speak Farsi as my second language. I had my primary education there. My Father is half Iranian, and through him, his family and friends, and his activities, I grew up with ‘lots of Iran politics’, not only in talk but in actual life. I witnessed the revolution unfold in 1978-79. In fact, along with my father, I participated in some demonstrations as an eight year old kid whose father was interrogated and tortured by the ruthless monarch, Shah. Contrary to what the US government has led citizens here to wrongly believe, the regime change in Iran did not occur through only Islamists. In the beginning, the liberals, the social democrats, the communists, socialists…many factions came together, united to get rid of the US-UK planted monarchy.

The country had its chance at having a democratic form of government, via Mossadegh. But hey, back then, the United States, driven by its Cold War, didn’t want democracies in that region. Are you kidding me??! Our business back then was ‘toppling democracies’; and replacing them with puppet monarchists, dictators, and the like. Back then we loved Islamic Fanaticism. It worked magically against the commie Soviets; Right?! So yes, due to my background, experience, education, family, friends, and past activities, Iran is not a subject I would ever ignore.

Back to ignoring the current publicity wave involving Iran. This one is no different than the previous wave towards the end of the Bush Presidency; only a tactic change, and this in a very sneaky and shrewd way. The ‘Nuke Scare’ didn’t quite work for the previous administration; neither domestically nor internationally. With Israel as adamant as ever, with President Obama as eager as his predecessor, only a bit savvier, and with the new neocons under new names and faces leading the way - and let’s not forget several disgruntled Iranian factions actively lobbying - it was about time to see the Iran topic resurface, but a bit differently. Thus, we have the new wave of recent publicity, although much more dangerous than before, since the appearance of the current method and operations do not seem nearly as bold as the old one - and so far it seems to be working and garnering public support for the neocon establishment and their agenda.

A recent survey which was conducted about three weeks before the elections showed Ahmadinejad leading by a more than 2 to 1 margin, even greater than his actual margin of victory in Friday's election.

Here is what Ken Ballen and Patrick Doherty had to say about the legitimacy of the survey:

“Independent and uncensored nationwide surveys of Iran are rare. Typically, preelection polls there are either conducted or monitored by the government and are notoriously untrustworthy. By contrast, the poll undertaken by our nonprofit organizations from May 11 to May 20 was the third in a series over the past two years. Conducted by telephone from a neighboring country, field work was carried out in Farsi by a polling company whose work in the region for ABC News and the BBC has received an Emmy award. Our polling was funded by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund.”

Are allegations of election fraud designed to further isolate Iran? Are they meant to be used to massage and shape domestic and international public opinion to lead the way for ‘further action’ on Iran? Let’s face it, the timing and the latest events don’t pass the smell test. We just had the ‘Free Roxana’ episode, with both the mainstream media and the alternative press carrying it as a campaign not dissimilar to Bush’s campaign on ‘Exporting Democracy’ to ‘oil-rich’ regions. This lady never actually denied working for Intelligence (based on my two CIA sources she indeed did), and in fact, in a way, she accepted the espionage charges brought against her by the Iranian government.

Remember the covert action program against Iran reported by Seymour Hersh? How about the report by Telegraph on how the US has been funding terror groups and other factions in Iran to create chaos? Do you think those are only ‘military’ operations?

With the disasters in Afghanistan and Iraq the majority among our military leaders have been opposing another war in the region. The ‘Nuclear Iran’ campaign didn’t prove to be that fruitful for the previous administration in garnering public support to pave the way for our next attack in the next oil rich Middle Eastern country. And of course, using the same tactic would have been too much for the Obama administration to expect to have swallowed by the public. So what better alternative than pursuing a ‘Humanitarian & Democratization’ campaign to change the ‘hearts & minds’ of our people and garner ‘liberal’ support against Iran?

Give them a martyr self-declared reporter in the form of ‘Roxana.’

All of a sudden get on our high horse and preach vehemently on elections’ lack of integrity in Iran, never mind the same conditions exist in two thirds of the world’s phony democracies.

Start displaying a few selective pictures of ‘bloody noses and arms’ taken in Iran and cry ‘atrocities,’ never mind our 2000+ torture pictures with not only bloody and torn up bodies, but actual corpses.

What are they going to do next? Well, if they run out of ‘dramatic’ pictures, they may go back and recycle their favorite footages from the Iran Hostage Crisis of 1979! They certainly love that one; nothing like it when it comes to inducing misinformed passion to bring about wrongly expressed patriotism in the form of consent to another war.

We have Ann Coulter of the Right - I just finished reading her recent typical hate mongering article which includes some bizarre garbage misinformation on Iran and Mossadegh. Talk about ignorance combined with psychotic behavior! Here is another one - equally twisted.

Then, there are those Ann Coulters of the left, writing about issues and an area they know zilch about, and whether intentionally or unintentionally they beat the war drums for their President of Change in need of a ‘pretext’ to bring to fruition the objectives put in place before him by the previous administration. I just checked out one of these popular ‘lefty’ blog sites, and here is the list of what this ignorant lady has been writing about (as a pundit) just in the past two weeks, all with a ‘pretense’ of expertise; preposterously and ignorantly analyzing and attacking the Iran elections, analyzing the health care bill, the current economic crisis, some Hoax Blogger Baby Scandal (I have no idea what it is, since I don’t read stuff like that), Dr. Tiller Analyses, Torture Pictures & DOJ, Mass Production of Food, Sarah Palin and why she is a ‘slut,’ Palin’s daughter and why she is a ‘slut,’ Iraq, Drinking Coke vs. Water…I guess you get my point, right? Of course it’s okay for anyone to write about anything. What is not okay is the pretense of expertise with the intention of propaganda when it is advertised and supported by an ‘agenda driven’ establishment…Can’t they please go back and chase Rove, Libby, etc.?!!!

Now your turn: What’s your take on the recent intensive coverage of Roxana followed by even more intense coverage of the elections in Iran by both the MSM and the blogosphere? Do they pass your smell test? If yes, please tell me how and why? If no, let me hear your points and arguments.

Comments

1. Bill Bergman says:

With these photos of protests with people carrying their bloody friends, it's hard not to recall 1953, and the use of U.S. currency in covert operations to pay and 'inspire' people to inspire angry mobs. I'm sad I've gotten this cynical.

2. Anonymous says:

As an Iranian I wanna thank you Sibel. If it is ok i'll have this published (Iranian Blogs like Parsi).

3. Metemneurosis says:

Hi Sibel,

First I'll just say that I have no doubt you're largely right in your analysis. But I'm wondering what you think about things like the reported fact that Mousavi didn't get nearly as many votes as he should have in his own largley Azeri area of the country and that other candidates had similar problems. What I mean is that while I have no trouble believing this is definitely being hyped by our government for our own purposes and I have no trouble believing the CIA or others have been trying to encourage dissent I'm not sure how much to believe is our doing. Do you think we actually tried to interfere with the election results or just tried to stir up dissent? I know I've heard several different younger people from the Iranian reformist and resistance movements saying things like "We want reform and democracy but US please stay out of this." So I'd think even some radical dissenters are wary of US involvement.

Pepe Escobar has some great articles on the recent pipeline deal signed by Iran and Pakistan that the US can't be too happy about.

Plus we're building a huge super-base just across the border from both Iran and Pakistan not far from where all this is to take place. And not too long after the deal was signed, surprise, lots of suicide bombings and attacks in both SW Pakistan and SE Iran.

McCrystal. Our Mcmann in pipelinistan. (By the way isn't it suspicious that the name Barrick Gold pops up here. Is that name involved in your 'case' as well?)

Anyway I have no problem believing this stuff is us. I'm just less clear on how much of what seemed to be genuine popular unrest was really our doing. There were after all thousands upon thousands out to protest. I suppose you're just suggesting that we funneled money and gave tactical advice to groups that could help stir the dissent that was already there.

4. Thanks Sibel,

Been real busy moving lately so have not had time for in-depth reading on this. But my sense of smell is pretty good. Just scanning the MSM reports detected many oderiferous eminations. I sort of smiled sadly to myself – seeing the same old stuff in there. I am glad that you put words to it. Thanks again!

Dennis

5. greatdogs says:

Is the Iranian election a replay of the Palestinian election that brought Hamas to power?

In the Hamas win, the Bush Administation spent by some reports around $2 million in trying to get a Fatah win. In Iran, we are in bed with the MeK and God only knows who else. Then there's our little CIA journalist to top it off.

6. Ishmael says:

Hidden among all the Iran reportage, I found that Ahmedinijad went to Yekatarinburg for a summit with China, Russia, India, Pakistan and the Central Asian republics covered in the article linked below:

I also watched Zbigniew on his daughter Mika's show this morning pontificating about the need to support the "reformist" elements in Iran.

Could it be that the US oil companies are trying to take control of the bulk of outstanding oil reserves in the mideast to save the petrodollar while the countries listed above want to eliminate the US middleman?

7. Alot of things have been going through my head. One thing I know, the assets we probably had there didn't pick up and leave when Obama came into office.

8. Metemneurosis says:

Ishmael, I'm glad you mentioned Zbig. I've been smelling him ever since I started to wake up to Obama's real agenda. It's also important that you mentioned Yekatarinburg, I think that's huge. But there was supposed to be a chance that Iran would be offered membership in the SCO this month as well and I haven't heard anything on that yet. If they did become full members (they're now observer status) that could significantly affect the chances of a US or Israeli strike. No word on whether that happened yet but I feel like if it had we would have heard. Given that Russia warned against strikes on Iran a while back you'd think they would go ahead and push for Iran to join. Perhaps that was just a step too far diplomatically. On the oil issue look up the info on Peak Oil. Some of the guys touting it may be exaggerating but it's worth being aware of. See Mike Ruppert's new book "A Presidential Energy Policy" (been out a month or two) and his blog.

9. Anonymous says:

Janet32-

How come you refuse 'Iran TV' interview requests? Any specific reason? I was disappointed. I'll e-mail you

10. Anonymous says:

Jalal and Shayla took me into their home. I played Cha har gah, a scale in the Persian music that matches Bhairavi in the East Indian ragas. We made music. He on the violin, I on the Sitar. I sang in their earth dome designed by Khalili. Animals appeared. A pair of eagles nested beside the lot. Their fledglings were born in a storm and named Thunder and Lightning.
    Kim Braasch married a Persian. She lived eight years in Iran. She returned with Fellowship of Reconciliation to demonstrate to Americans that Persians were highly cultured and literate. They passed by Natanz, the site of Israeli preoccupation.
    Earlier as a young man I traveled overland across Iran, learned to bargain in Tehran, saw Grumman selling to Soviets in Iran, and crossed into Afghanistan. It was only recently that I saw something not suspected. The Persians are superstitious. Omens have meaning to them. Poetry from a culture of passion where it is still cited and remembered unlike our poetry in America, the only music with a silent C.
    The memory that remains strongest is from the back of the train where I squatted with two conductors and shared their meal before returning to my cabin on the train across Iran. It does not do well to live in anger, love is much stronger.

11. Anonymous says:

The Obama administration came to power in the US using more than just the typical political propaganda and manipulation of the public and the media, not to mention voter fraud. I suspect the forces behind the Obama presidency consider themselves masters of these techniques and are not only trying them out in Iran, but extending the techniques to influence US and world opinion via cable TV. So, no, this scene does not pass the smell test. Personally, I prefer straight-talking politicians and would be delighted to see some straight talk from all the parties involved. Achmindinejead (sp?) of Iran does not seem to have a problem with straight talk, he just needs to screw his head on straight.

12. Kathleen M. Dickson says:

The whole thing cracks me up. How *dare* Americans talk about fraudulent elections when we had two such fraudulent elections of W., and then the entire West collapsed, financially, and we never got to even steal the oil.

Kathleen M. Dickson

13. Sibel Edmonds says:

Bill: Glad you are participating in this discussion. I know you know Iran's history well. Not cynical, but a realist; or, are they the same?

Anon: Thank you. Grab a screen name and get into this discussion. As an Iranian you have a lot to contribute on this…

Metemneurosis: I am not arguing against 'election fraud;' the very possible rigging. Not at all. If they did, and they probably did, it wouldn't be the first time. I am really angry about how suddenly this becomes a topic of choice for 'certain' people with 'certain' agenda, and how the media & the ignorant bloggers disseminate the propaganda, thus help implement the new 'operation.' The unrest among the youth is not a new phenomena' periodically they've been rebelling. Remember 1998-1999? They are right in wanting the US to butt out; they know their history, and they are wise! Pipeline politics: you bet!

Dennis: Good to have you back, and good luck with the moving project.

GreatDogs: MEK is only one of several. We have a huge Ex-Shah's Diaspora over here; Washington DC area and Los Angeles.For almost three decades they've been dreaming, organizing, planning, hoping to topple the regime, take their little puppy Pahlavi back to Iran, take back their palaces and mansions, and rule again. Maybe a little different: semi-democratic elections plus a king. But, the same old way as far as ripping off the people, enriching themselves, and serving their masters' interest with their oil and strategic location…Then you have educated activists under 30 (upper & upper middle class) in Tehran- have their satellites, active via twitter and the net in general, and longing to wear their levies openly;-)

Ishmael: Right on target, as always; excellent points. Look what's happening in Central Asia. Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan…all the deals that are being signed with China-Russia. Of course, the closure of our bases over there (getting kicked out). Why do you think they are working so hard to bring Azerbaijan into NATO? Turkish military has been training them for the past few years, and supposedly they are almost ready to pass the NATO criteria test…Same with the Georgia situation…

I'll be back in a few minutes and respond to others. Please go ahead and discuss among yourself; we have a solid group of knowledgeable thinkers over here!!!

14. Sibel Edmonds says:

UPdate:

MMonk started a thread on this at DU. Here is the link:

If you can, go there, recommend and support the thread by commenting. Regardless to their politics they have some good nonpartisan activists there, and the rest can use a bit of eye-opening discussion; a different perspective.

Thank you MMonk!

15. You're welcome Sibel. There are some with open minds there and some that are partisan but it can make for interesting discussion. Thanks for this piece.

16. Anonymous says:

Smells like a pig pen on a hot summer day.

I randomly tuned in to an NPR interview with Roxana during which the host asked her point blank if she was "contacted" by the CIA – to which she replied "I don't talk about that". I guess we can interpret that however we like.

I assume the parties that be here were disappointed that she wasn't kept in jail in Iran – that really would have been a media crusade opportunity.

Markum

17. Sibel Edmonds says:

Janet32: Nothing personal. I have done only 2 or 3 interviews in the past 2 years or so; mainly to those I consider friends. Maybe in the future…

Kathleen: You are right; the irony! We've had our share of voting-related scandals…

Markum: "Smells like a pig pen on a hot summer day." Why didn't I think of that?!! Things like that don't come as fast to me-English as Third Language. I need an editor:-)

18. Anonymous says:

One theme I've seen on the Internet is that Ahmadinejad is being defamed. It reminds of the school of thought that is so opposed to US foreign policy that advocates seem unwilling to admit that other countries' leaders are corrupt and also treat their own people in a vile manner.

If this is a new propaganda approach then there appears to be a flaw. Many people have mentioned that the media coverage has removed the dehumanizing, monolithic conception of religious fanatics. There is also the rather recent example (Iraq) of how regime change works in reality. The covert action approach appears to be necessary as one hopes the public (not that our "leaders" care) isn't going to be fooled into supporting more D.C. nonsense. Another factor is the lack of moral standing the US now has (granted many investigative journalists have explained that this concept was never really true as these policies took place but were not as flagrant as during Bush/Cheney).

19. Iran looks vulnerable to a popular Mousavi centered uprising that is undoubtedly supported by foreign (US/UK) geopolitical concerns.

I saw a headline at Huffpo that had Mir Hossein Mousavi stating that he had been told he had won the election.

Could be spin but there were some obvious walking back of Mahmoud Ahmedinijad's opponent candidate votes… if you believe the time-stamps on the TV photos posted on Daily Kos.

This odoriferous manure is not cured.

20. Cascadiance says:

Sibel, I do agree with you that America should stay the f out of this set of problems, and just stay on the sidelines and at most help people with being proxies to connect to the internet or things like that, but don't in any way do anything that can be looked at as the U.S. "interfering" again, which will revisit a lot of sore memories again from the past.

On election fraud though, I do note the reference you have here showing that Ahmadinejad had a 2-1 advantage over Mousavi, but in that poll Ahmadinejad still only had 34% of the vote and there was 27% of the votes that were undecided.

I think one could reasonably postulate that those voting for Ahmadinejad most likely had their minds made up then at the time of that poll, and those that eventually voted for Mousavi were more likely still on the fence at that point and in that sizable 27% undecided column.

As many have noted, there wasn't been any real clear choices for those looking for democratic change, as a lot of those candidates were probably screened out from even being registered as a candidate. Those looking for democratic change, which that poll showed that 77%, perhaps didn't have their minds made up at that point which of the "lesser evils" to get behind, as there wasn't a real clear choice of someone who might be their real choice that was available and therefore this was reflected in those poll numbers.

With the way the voting numbers came out, and I recall others saying that the percentages were *too* similar in each of the different precincts, especially with widely different ethnic population mixes and even in home precincts for Mousavi, I think there's a lot to be concerned about in terms of the credibility of the election.

Perhaps those in power thought that with those early polling results, that they could foster the notion that that 27% would break in the same percentages that were decided at that time, and they could make those results bend that direction to get Ahmadinejad to be declared the winner.

It sounds like they might have overestimated their ability to persuade people of that result coming out, and that's the turmoil we're seeing now.

But this is pure speculation on my part, and I'm sure there's many here closer to the situation here who'd have better insight than myself as to what's going on.

But there is some heavy violence and repression going on now, no matter who the people favored, and I hope that the people can eventually get a government there that will treat and represent them well, which doesn't seem to be the case now.

21. I'm glad you wrote something about this, Sibel. Given what I know about how news is reported in both Turkey and the US, I have no idea what to make of events in Iran. I can't believe US reports and I can't believe Iranian reports.

There is too much black and white in typical MSM reporting (and in mullah reporting) and I have the feeling that the truth may be several shades of gray somewhere in between . . . or maybe another color of the rainbow altogether.

I also agree wholeheartedly with your comments on the hypocrisy over Iran's elections, alleged lack of integrity, and phony democracies. The whole idea of democracy is phony, in my experience.

It's too bad your father is no longer with us; I'd love to hear what he would have had to say about all this.

22. I was fortunate enough to have visited Bandar Abbas in 1974 while serving in the US Navy. I also have my father and grandfather's stories of their journeys in that part of the world as merchant seamen in the first half of the 1900's. some of my father's storied I have written in my myspace blog under the working title, "Tales of the Inadvertent Pacifist". I also lived in LA for 8 years and am well aware of the large Iranian community there.

I was watching the Twitter feed from #iranelection on the night after the "official" results were announced, there were twitter feeds with vote totals of the four candidates. while I don't remember all the names, I DO remember the breakdown as follows:

Moussavi: 18.7 million
    Ahmendinajad: approx 8.4 million
    Candidate 3: approx 8 million
    Candidate 4: approx 4 million

I also remember the claim that all 4 candidates had the same results tally before the government started shutting everything down.

That's almost 40 million votes cast so someone with a little more knowledge of the Iranian Electorate could see if this tallys with the estimated turnout.

The other factor that has aided Moussavi is that his supporters are largely young, tech savvy and social networking has been more highly developed since Tien An Men 20 years ago. This has allowed them to get news and images out despite the government's efforts to control information flow. At the same time, I saw an enormous outpouring of support and help from equally young, smart, tech-savvy people in the West providing proxy servers for the people in Iran, and using their knowledge of IT, IP and communications network architecture to circumvent censorship. As the government shut down cell networks, computer networks picked up the slack and continued over land lines. The other reports I found most telling about the governments' lack of technical expertise was reports of the dissidents taking down both Ahmedinijad's AND Khameini's websites through denial of service attacks.

While one might characterize this as state-sponsored cyberwarfare, my impression is more along the lines of a spontaneous eruption of popular outrage combined with a large group of home-grown, pissed-off computer geeks who are WELL AWARE of how their relatives and friends live here. The other constant undercurrent from the people on the ground was, "Let us do this ourselves!"

I was 14 in 1968 and watched the Chicago Democratic Convention police riot live on TV while the crowd chanted,"The Whole World Is Watching". I felt the same way seeing both the basiji beating people on bikes and the HUGE pro-Moussavi demonstration that was FOUR MILES LONG! That's a lot of pissed-off Persians, boys and girls. And that was just in Tehran with similar demonstrations across the country.

So, while I think we must be ever vigilant about US interference, we must also recognize the divisions within Iran both religious and demographic and try to support the forces of change inside the country as well as we can. Besides, green has always been a good color for me. Every nation has the right of self-determination; even if it's only to tell us to Shove Off.

23. Metemneurosis says:

Exactly Ishmael. The US should shove off but so should Khamene'i.

Sibel I realize that Montazari's statements have been being used in the press for the US's purposes in the last few days. But what is your impression of Montazari overall? As I understand it he is still technically the highest ranking imam (though I could be wrong here). But at he least he was in the 70's when he had his fallout with Khomeini.

24. If USA and ISrael rip the benefits of the STUPIDITY of khamenei and Ahmadinejad, and their ineffectiveness in reigning in the violent members of their camp, then so be it!

These peopel have been shrewed enough to survive for 30 years … if they have lost their grip, then they are coming to the end that hey deserve!

What you see on streets of tehran IS the genuine outrage of ordinary people … Ahmadinejad buses in people to come to his rallies, these people come despite the risk to their lives … enough of ivory tower conspiracy theories. I have been watchful of Israel, but it is not CIA brutalizing IRanians … in fact, even if they are, it is up to Khamenei to come on TV and publicly DENOUNCE violence … issue a fatwa or whatever and make it illegal to attack students, raid homes, kidnap people, and etc!

25. Carol Moore Report says:

I think it is both possible that Ahmadinejad won (though I find margin dubious) – and that the protesters have a legitimate gripe. After all Mousavi is only the least obnoxious candidate to most of them, not the most ideal. And it's not like these protesters support either US imperialism, the Shah's son or even the MEK crew. They want something brand new and the right to create it. Hopefully it won't be a knock off of the "majority rule-representative democracy" experiment which has proven world wide to lead inevitably to minority rule by special interests. I moderate stopiranwar yahoogroup by the way; mostly news stories.

26. Anonymous says:

The Iranian government oppresses it's people, It arbitrarily executes homosexuals, political prisoners, gays, Bahai's, foreign journalists etc Human Rights violations are rampant. Eventually people are going to be fed up with living under these oppressive conditions. Forget about conspiracy theories and cynical propagandizing. This is more than a protest against election results. It's a call for human rights and a struggle for basic human dignity.

27. Sibel Edmonds says:

These are some excellent observations and comments. Very impressive, indeed. Thank you.

I have a follow up post on this which should be up by noon today (EST). I see some out there missed the entire point and started a personal attack over at DU (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389×5864259 ). Unlike the comments here they fit the 'one-liner' irrational rants I've referred to many times. It's okay. It gives me a sense on how the common propaganda and spin forms uninformed psyches. Sad, but a reality.

Imhotep: "This odoriferous manure is not cured." Good one!

Cascadiance: That survey was to show the different interpretation and analyses out there. The fraud is highly probable, although hard to judge based on only focusing on the select class (mainly in Tehran, educated, progressive, wealthy, with access to internet/twitter). Stay tuned for my next post; it may address some of your points.

Mizgin: always great to have your voice here. In my next post I will point out to Agri atrocities post elections in Turkey. You know, the stuff that never gets coverage;-) I truly miss my father and having his voice on this and so many other issues…

Ishmael: I am so grateful to know you, meet you via this blog.Have you considred writing more on these experiences?

Metemneurosis: Oh, Montazari. So much to cover there. The best place to start: 1980. Also, note the major differences with the sleek Rafsanjani; our highly educated man (UK) and his sons, and his wealth, and his history when he was considered a 'great ally' against the communist Russia before the revolution…Then there was Beheshti, who conveniently got assassinated…It brings back so many memories…my deep dark childhood;-)

Naj: Interesting perspective. I just finished reading this: http://original.antiwar.com/pfaff/2009/06/16/irans-pre-political-revolt/ another interesting perspective. I don't know if I agree with it, interesting nonetheless…

Stay tuned for the follow up piece…

28. Interesting. I started working on a follow up for DU as well. I got tired of the personal attacks as well.

29. Anonymous says:

Janet-

Who is the lefty Ann Coulter? No link.

30. Sibel Edmonds says:

Janet: Didn't want to throw in names. Before you know it will turn in to a pi..ing contest, which I am not interested…Also, too many Coulter types on both sides; dime a dozen; take your pick;-)

31. There is something to be said for not voting in the equivalent of straw polls.

32. openanthropology says:

Amazing, isn't it, all this raw American passion that takes so seriously the democracy that a week ago they dismissed and ridiculed as phony. What is even richer is when some proclaim that this Tehran's Tiananmen…I wonder if they recall, or know enough to figure out that this would mean Moussavi should start running, that it is not a slogan you can use to celebrate the protest.

At any rate, I have a related post:

America's Iranian Twitter Revolution

33. Sibel Edmonds says:

Max: Just checked out your site and the latest post there. Excellent work, and welcome. I am planning to go back and spend the needed time to go over that last post again. Thank you!

34. Interesting Shah of Iran interview

35. the fact's that Khatami is liberal in standard of Islamic Republic. Should the persent administration continues we expect another 4 yeras of terrorist sponsored government. Watch this video as peronan allegdely named " Hassan Abbasi"gives speach about sponosoring violence to civilized world. He also gives lectures in universities and holds a critical position in present administration.