Pardon Me for Taking Offense with Your ‘Pardon- Seeking’ Petition

Do Not Mix Up Criminals with Whistleblowers

Someone had the gall to send me this pathetically misguided, ignorant, and demeaning petition requesting a Governmental Pardon for NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

I say pathetic because I believe this was a genuine attempt to support this courageous whistleblower, but instead became an establishment-supporting, insulting and self-defeating petition due to the authors’-organizers’ ignorance.

I say misguided because this is a case where the criminals who have violated our Constitution and laws are the ones who should be seeking forgiveness and pardon from the people. The executive branch is the party which has violated the Constitution and broken the supreme laws of this nation, thus in need of repentance and pardoning. Not the courageous whistleblower who took his oath to protect the United States Constitution seriously and actually exercised it.

I say demeaning because it misrepresents and insults the guardians of the United States Constitution, and reduces these truth-telling whistleblowers to criminals-to those who have committed illegalities. Not only that, it simultaneously raises the status of a criminal government to those of kings and emperors who can do no wrong. When the kings engage in criminality they call it ‘the king’s given rights.’ When an irate minority dares to expose the kings’ criminality they are declared a criminal-to dare to challenge the kings.

The insulting ignoramuses who drafted this pathetic petition are giving the president and the executive branch of the United States of America the status of absolute kings and emperors.

Here we have a case where there is a president and his entourage who see themselves as the absolute and untouchable kings of the United States, and break with reckless abandon the supreme law of the United States, the Constitution. They do so repeatedly; with arrogance and impunity.

We have a case where a conscientious citizen of the United States does what his citizenship demands of him: he stands up and protects the Constitution of the United States by exposing the kings engaged in its violation and destruction.

So what do we have so far? Please repeat after me:

We have the United States Executive Branch which has suspended, violated and destructed the United States Constitution and its citizens’ rights.

We have the United States Legislative and Judicial Branches which have abdicated their responsibilities under the United States Constitution, and instead of overseeing and holding accountable the President and his cabinet, who in this case have been violating and destroying the United States Constitution, they have been protecting and collaborating with them.

And we have a true American, a citizen who has taken his US citizenship and citizen responsibilities that go with it very seriously-as demanded by the United States Constitution. He has courageously come forward to inform and warn his country of its rulers’ criminality.

Now please tell me who should be seeking a pardon here? The conscientious citizen who is protecting the mother-of-all laws of his nation-the Constitution? Or the kings who have suspended, violated and broken the laws of this nation? Or the Judiciary and Legislative Branches who have abandoned their responsibility to the people of this nation and their oath to the Constitution?

The authors-drafters of this ignorant and insulting petition have either totally mixed up their senses when it comes to crime and punishment. Or, they are among those who view the United States Executive Branch as kings and their powers as absolute, thus seeking a pardon for a citizen whose crime has been to expose the crime and responsible criminals-defending his nation’s laws and the people’s rights.

Either way, this petition and its wording is pathetic, ignorant, misleading, and insulting to humble whistleblowers like me. I urge the authors to educate themselves on the United States Constitution, what constitutes crime and criminality, and what is considered a citizens’ foremost duty under our Constitution. Here is a good place to start:

Oath of Office-Presidency

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Oath of Office-Congress

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.

Military Oath

Once the drafters-authors of the shameful petition read and understand the basics of this nation’s Constitution, after they become enlightened, they may proceed to draft and circulate a petition where the executive branch is not treated as absolute king but as the servant of this nation, where the crime is violating the Constitution not protecting it, and where the criminals responsible for violating the Constitution are called to seek pardon from their masters-we the people of the United States.

# # # #

Sibel Edmonds is the Publisher & Editor of Boiling Frogs Post and the author of the Memoir Classified Woman: The Sibel Edmonds Story. She is the recipient of the 2006 PEN Newman's Own First Amendment Award for her “commitment to preserving the free flow of information in the United States in a time of growing international isolation and increasing government secrecy” Ms. Edmonds has a MA in Public Policy and International Commerce from George Mason University, a BA in Criminal Justice and Psychology from George Washington University.

This site depends exclusively on readers’ support. Please help us continue by SUBSCRIBING, and by ordering our EXCLUSIVE BFP DVDs.

Comments

1. An irate member: In 2008 I could not fly home by online ticketing and nearly missed my flight. I learned that I was on a terrorist watch list. Earlier I had been stopped at the Canadian border and not allowed to leave the U.S. Prior to that I was held in the LA county jail when returning to the U.S. If this was done as a result of criminal activity, it would make sense. I am a teacher, a Quaker, and concerned about our civil liberties, but I have not knowingly broken the law nor engaged in criminal behavior. For those who think this latest loss of liberty through surveillance is necessary, I say think again. We are in the midst of a fascist state that is trying with all of its might to surface. I can only hope that my brother Edward Snowden has not sacrificed his life in vain.

2. jschoneboom says:

Damn right Sibel! Thanks for saying it!

3. Plattso says:

I heard an interview on PBS during my half-sleep. Some guy said “Yes, but normally one does not pardon a person until after he is convicted of a crime” or something to that effect. So, running about getting people to sign this thing seems inappropriate and, I guess you could say “supine” in it’s presumption.

4. Richard deBruin says:

Just read the best response such a petition deserves. If I could add one more characterization to describe this pitiful petition it would be childish. In it’s wording and in it’s bearing. I personally think all these petitions and whatever are a waste of time anyway, as if the crime syndicate that passes off as government would pay heed to these things, yet if you are going to write a demand then at least make it a demand. Kissing the hand of Don Presidente is not a demand. It’s a request from a submissive.

5. tonywicher says:

Thanks for your strong statement, Sibel. Some people have expressed doubts about whether Snowden is an honest whistleblower, and have suggested that the current wave of scandals being reported in the MSM has been orchestrated either to force Obama to attack Syria or as a “color revolution” to preempt a real revolution. I give your opinion in this matter a lot of weight. If Snowden is real then it is a sign that a real revolution of awareness on the part of an accelerating number of Americans. Then all this publicity in the MSM is not orchestrated but indicates real news breaking through. I hope it’s true but I am still feeling cautious. Here is an article by a skeptic, Scott Creighton of American Everyman, who is wondering what happened to NSA cryptographer William Binney, who gave an interview saying the same things in December 2012. Why didn’t he get this publicity?

6. donilo252525 says:

I haven’t read this petition yet, though I saw it pass by on Twitter. If I might hazard a guess as to why it was put together, I think the author may have misapplied the only way I believe a person can receive a Presidential Pardon. It would be a person who has already gone through the legal process (habeas corpus, etc.) and been found guilty. After the process is complete, then a Pardon can be forthcoming, according to the Constitution. Governors also have this “power,” for example to prevent the carrying out of an execution sentence with a convicted prisoner.

Unfortunately this author must have been napping – for example, during a Q&A session when “Commander in Chief” Obama declared Bradley Manning “guilty;” or as he pushes to establish the NDAA in his fiefdom; or any time he opens his mouth, and inexplicably lies tumble out in a steady stream, blocking any possibility of a word of truth to appear.

At the same time, no matter what the root of the issue for this petition may be, it is a blaring irony in the face of the Corporate Coup that has taken over the government of the United States. This Coup will only be turned around by citizens like Edward Snowden. Let us all take up the challenge he has passed on to us – to not allow this “incident” to disappear amidst the smoke & mirrors of our propaganda media.

donilo

7. Sibel, great words!
    Since I have known about “The Establishment” as we called it in the 60s, we, as radicals, understood that The Executive Branch, Congress, and the Supreme Court all lie at the heart of the Beast, along with the military-industrial complex(I read somewhere that when Ike used this term in his departing speech he actually intended to say Military-Industrial-Congressional complex, but erased the “Congressional” part at the last minute).
    Needless to say, any appeal to Congress is a complete waste of time. IMO many Congress members know little of the Constitution and don’t care about it. The last President to ask/allow Congress to “declare war” as per Article 1, sec.8, clause 11, was FDR. All US wars from Korea to Obama’s attacks of War via drones were permitted with the collusion of Congress.
    And, if one scratches a little deeper, one can see that our entire System which includes the private Federal Reserve, all banking–especially the biggies, need Endless Wars as a constant source of ever increasing $ and power. Hence, petitioning Congress is like asking a sadistic cold-blooded Zombie Beast to do you a favor.
    Thank you so much for your work and sacrifice!!

8. donilo252525 says:

Since such a huge percentage of the U.S. government and U.S. media are completely controlled by the Corporate Coup that, in appropriate business terms, has completed a hostile takeover, then We the People are the ones who need to undo this coup. Regulations, including the power to dissolve corporations must now be enforced by us in the absence of any other existing entity to do so.

Just for fun, an old poem I wrote:

Corp
    or ate greed:
    (“O” ration)

ingredients:
    (“c” or “p” or a “t”
    ion)

oration:
    (“AT I-ONSCO”
    – rp! –
    “O rat ions!”)

9. donilo252525 says:

(Note re poem – I used “centered” format)

10. Bigelow says:

“… as it turns out only one in four follow NSA News “very closely.” The other 3 in 4 are far more concerned with who gets to fake-wed the fake-bachelorette this season, or who is the victor of Dancing with the Stars.”

11. Bigelow says:
  12. Mgrdichian says:

“a humble whistleblower like me?” By inference you just called 66,667 people “ignoramuses.” Maybe I need to check the definition of “humble.” While I agree with the underlying import of your perspective, I find the name calling unbecoming, unnecessary and unproductive. I agree that the intent of the drafters was “a genuine attempt to support this courageous whistleblower.” Likewise, the support of 66,000 (and growing) signatories is their expression that Snowden is innocent of any alleged crimes, of which he is being accused daily in the media.

As far as “what is considered a citizens’ foremost duty under our Constitution,” it’s my understanding that a citizens’ obligation is to abide by the laws of the land (i.e Constitutions, state and federal). Public servants have a different obligation, which is defined by the oaths they take.

Indeed, from the perspective you’ve outlined, the petition is somewhat misguided, though IMO donilo252525 has done a better job in tactfully pointing that out with fewer words.

To their credit, the petition drafters have succeeded in mobilizing tens of thousands of average citizens to get off their butt and contact the White House in support of Snowden. That speaks for itself, and to stand in judgment of the intent behind each of the signatures, which you’ve done by inference, is simply unfair.

13. arealjeffersonian says:

Those of us who follow Sibel know that she doesn’t mince words – so what else would you call 66,000+ people who by signing this petition brand Snowden a criminal (why else would he need a pardon), thus fully supporting the government’s assertion that he should be prosecuted for breaking the “law”?

Re your comment as to “a citizens’ foremost duty”, an oath that Sibel did not include is the Naturalization Oath of Allegiance that all immigrants becoming US citizens must make – here is an exerpt “that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic”. I believe it can reasonably be inferred therefore that this is a duty incumbant on ALL citizens, just as Sibel states.

As to your last paragraph, I don’t view “mobilizing tens of thousands of average citizens” to support the government’s view of Snowden as a criminal as positive. As the saying goes, with friends like this, who needs enemies?

14. Upon reading what Sibel has written on the petition I completely concur. She’s right! However, I think the message could have done without the ad hominem attack. Yes, the petition may be misguided and Sibel was right to correct it, but do we want to alienate those who support Snowden? Or, do we want to embrace and get them to work in a meaningful and proper way? Yeah, I believe in hard love and I understand that Sibel doesn’t mince words. I promise I won’t either. However, I would rather use the olive branch then arrows for those who are trying to do something for whistle-blowers.

15. donilo252525 says:

IMO bottom line is that everyone gets to be him or herself. It was pointed out earlier that my approach was more tactful in style. That’s simply because it’s my nature to be that way. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it hurts. In & of itself it’s not a quality to be “graded” in reference to other styles. Compared maybe, but neither one nor the other is better or worse. Sibel has a no-BS-allowed-here manner. And after all she’s been through for most of her life – recall her story about her father showing her the reality of war in the hospital – I see her “style” as perfectly suiting her life experience and who she is.

What we need to do is unite against these literally evil forces and bring our individual strengths to the battle.