BFP Roundtable Video- Death & Rebirth: The End of Al Qaeda and Rise of ISIS”

Pearse Redmond, James Corbett & Christoph Germann on the evolution of ISIS and the possible end of Al Qaeda

On this episode we are joined by BFP contributors James Corbett and Christoph Germann for a discussion of the US Deep State's role in creating ISIS, its evolution, and the possible end of Al Qaeda. The three of us explore the idea of "moderate" Al Qaeda members speaking out against ISIS, and their attempts to save the dying Al Qaeda brand. We also discuss how ISIS has changed the rules of terrorism by ushering in a new level of violence that is devoid of any real political ideology, touching on the notion that they are merely a place holder for some other new form of jihadi movement yet to emerge, and then finish off the conversation by looking at recent geopolitical developments in Central Asia and how these nations are dealing with the threat that ISIS presents.

*We would like to thank James Corbett and Tom Secker for all of their help with the editing of this podcast.

Watch Preview Here:

Watch Full Video (Members Only) Here:

Listen to the full Audio (Members Only) Here:

Show Notes:

Pentagon report predicted West’s support for Islamist rebels would create ISIS

Al-Qaida 'cut off and ripped apart by Isis'

How Isis crippled al-Qaida

Comments

1. Thanks guys. Didn’t watched it all yet, but I post this related video not to forget.

Former French Minister of External Affairs Roland Dumans sayed on TV: “The British prepared for war in Syria 2 years before the eruption of the crisis”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeyRwFHR8WY

• Wow, I had nearly forgotten all about that story. Seems so long ago now. The openness of the West in terms of talking about ISIS and destroying Syria is very interesting.

• “The openness of the West in terms of talking about ISIS and destroying Syria is very interesting.”

The “openness” works as a measure of their own assessment of their own power — who’s gonna call ’em out?

• I couldn’t agree more. The Deep-State Gets off on flaunting the truth of what thy do in public. Obviously no one is going to question them or call them out. This is turn gives them a sense of power and omnipotence.

Without getting too deep into this, secret societies (Deep-State, Gladio network) also gain power from revealing certain secrets in the open. Again most people don’t understand what it is that they are seeing, but for those initiatied into these groups, there is a sense of power and importance in being able to understand the esoteric or occult significance of a phrase, image, etc dealing with the reality of terrorism or the truth of ISIS.

I sort of to bed on that in this episode when I was talking about why they governmet hasn’t responded to this story. I think they do want a certain section of people to understand that tey are 100% behind ISIS.

• Perry Watson says:

Wow. I had never previously seen that clip.
      Pearse, I know Tom and you on a previous podcast had down played the Israeli role in major geopolitical events, etc. In this clip the man is once again talking about the Israeli government’s desire to overthrow states in their neighborhood that ‘don’t play ball’ with them. Is this just another oversimplification of Israeli power in global affairs? I know the two of you have said that the Yinon plan seems like a impractical document or at the very least as an over analyzed document.

Again, I am hoping that the BFP forum is a receptive medium for seriously broaching this line of thinking. I am not looking to be immediately condemned as some kind of anti-Semite, a widely held meme that reduces criticism of the Israeli government (not its people) to a disgusting caricature.

Cheers.

• All important questions Perry. I am still of the mind set that the Oded Yinon plan is just one of many such policy papers written about the destruction of the Middle East. Again I would also state that those in power may be using the Oded Yinon plan to get certain people on board with their agenda.

That being said it is very suspect that ISIS has nothing substantive to say about Israel or the Palestinians. As I stated in the Roundtable, even Al Qaeda had something to say about Israeli oppression and violence. Compare this to ISIS and it does look like this CIA created group knows not to step on certain toes. This doesn’t mean that ISIS was created and is staffed with Mossad agents, but it is very interesting all the same that they never even mention Zionism or Israel in their proclamations. This might be part of their overall campaign to create a new more vicious brand of terrorism devoid of any ideology, thus making traditional groups like Al Qaeda seem more palatable. People also seem to only focus on the aspects of ISIS that benefit Israel. They never seem to point to the numerous benefits that ISIS provides for US, Gulf States, or Western Europe. They are even more silent on the fact that ISIS could be a great tool to use against Russia in the North Caucus or China in Xinjiang, which at the moment seems to be all the rage within ISIS.

As for the French foreign minister’s statements I would lean towards him oversimplifying. Syria wasn’t invaded solely because it was opposed to Israel’s destructive policies. I am sure that was a factor on some level, but I think this perceived threat of a Shia power-base played a more decisive role. No one in the West or the Arab puppet states wants an independent Arab government that is backed by Shia Iran and leans pro-Shia. The Saudis for instance are terrified of the growing unrest in the Shia dominate east. By default the West is also terrified of a radical Shia power base.

So I think Dumas is oversimplifying a bit in the interview. The real nugget here is that he was aware that the British were planning this years ago. Independent leaders are one of the biggest threats to global dominance. Luarent Bagbo was overthrown by the French for merely expressing a desire to leave the French controlled African Franc. Also I think it’s rich for some French politician to claim he has no desire to get involved in a country that was ruled over by his own nation, because he is French. As if the French never ever colonized and subjugated people on the past.

• Ronald Orovitz says:
          • Haha. Yes this is a bit pathetic even for Israel. I think it’s important to note that terror groups have always claimed responsibility for attacks they never committed. ISIS has the direct phone number to all the important media outlets and the infrastructure to respond at lighting speed. The media of course would much prefer to blame ISIS than the Bedouin tribes which have been fighting for political and social rights in the Sinai.

I just wrote a post a bit further down that lays out some of my thoughts on ISIS an greater Israel in some more detail.

• Ronald Orovitz says:

Yeah, this and the Netanyahu campaign ad where the B-movie ISIS characters shout “On to Israel!” is the only other direct threat that Israel has received from ISIS. The actors in that ad looked like they could have come from the same casting call as the “Innocence of Muslims” video – the one that allegedly sparked the Benghazi consulate attack on 9/11/12.

• There is no doubt in my mind that some explicit or implicit agreement has been struck between the powers controlling ISIS and the State of Israel. This latest attempt by Netanyahu to hype ISIS should be seen as the transparent propaganda that it is. It would my surprise me if those ISIS “fighters” weren’t just picked up from central casting.

• candideschmyles says:

If you ever got censured for including the Israeli role in this game of power, which I seriously doubt, then I would be leaving here too. That said criticism of Israeli/Zionist realities still requires careful wording for despite the piecemeal genocide of the people of Palestine the Zionists are still using every opportunity to exploit the hideous death of recent ancestors to mask their own crimes against humanity. I once stupidly used the word Jew instead of Zionist to conserve space on twitter. A sad mistake. I have never had so many retweets. There are literally hundreds of them ready to pounce on anybody talking facts about Israel if they slip up in any way. This was a bit fortuitous in the end for it presaged a statistically relevant number of disparate facts I had accumulated into a new whole. It was a kind of epiphany.
        I no longer associate the words Zionist or Jewish as at all helpful in even understanding what Israel, as an entity, actually is. To be a non western settler within the borders of Israel you have to be an idiot, a zealot, or most likely both. Everybody is sold a lie and so many even expect it to become a realised prophecy of Armageddon. In Tel Aviv and in the luxury villas around the red sea you have the foreign monied people. They too are sold a lie. And happily embrace the cognitive dissonance required to maintain the lie. In fact everybody in Israel would be sacrificed if required. The only reason Israel exists is so that the US can have a substantial and permanent nuclear platform àt perhaps the world’s most geo-strategic nexus point. Creating the religious and political isolationist dogma and actions of Israel absolutely suits the US as they can use the nukes based there any time with a combination of plausible deniability and distancing rhetoric. Israel is the lie.

• CuChulainn says:

sorry candide, does not israel define itself as the jewish state? that is how netanyahu etc. describe it. why would you feel obliged to use the word zionist, when no one in israel uses this word?

• candideschmyles says:

In 1896, Theodor Herzl, a Jewish journalist living in Austria-Hungary, published Der Judenstaat (“The Jews’ State” or “The State of the Jews”), in which he asserted that the only solution to the “Jewish Question” in Europe, including growing antisemitism, was through the establishment of a state for the Jews. Political Zionism had just been born.[5] A year later, Herzl founded the Zionist Organization (ZO), which at its first congress, “called for the establishment of a home for the Jewish people in Palestine secured under public law”.

As I said before I try not to use any of the adjectives or labels but of course I am forced to in order to be understood. It must be remembered that the oligarchs and banksters who funded both the Bolshevik revolution and the Nazi Party in Germany did include many members of the Zionist movement including the Rothschild’s and Rockefeller’s. Under the terms of the Nuremberg trials many of them could and should have been held accountable and put on trial but none ever were. (Search YouTube for Prof Anthony C Sutton interviews on this subject). The truth is that the movers and shakers of the US deep state are far to well informed to be even remotely religious and know that religion is just a tool of the powerful and no more. They funded and profitted from the slaughter of millions of Jews in WW2 and they would have no hesitation in seeing Israel turned into a sheet of glass should that be required. If you think race, nationality or religion define the partnerships, agreements and actions of the deep state then you do not understand the game.

• CuChulainn says:

hi Candide– my comment referred only to the premise should use language differently from those whose actions one might criticize, at the risk of slander or defamation. we know where this premise is leading— http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-04/they-want-use-hate-speech-laws-destroy-freedom-speech-america

• candideschmyles says:

I do get your point Cu but I think also think that there is a credibility dividend to be had by finding enough depth in your language to avoid any possibility of self pejorative remarks. They want to drag you in but their technique requires you to bite their bait. Unfortunately such is the need to paper over the cracks of the media narrative that we are going to see more and more censorship. My only hope is that such actions will be the straw that breaks the camels back. The masses may be passive to the subtleties of their conditioning but there is a visceral antipathy toward anyone directly limiting actual speech. If I’m wrong things are going to get full blown dystopia.

• As I posted my comment on this Zionist topic a bit too late for most of you to read, and according to BennyB who found it relevant, I allow myself to post the link here.

About the former Minister of Foreign affairs Roland Dumas, I should add even if he comes from the system, as he gets old, he more and more speaks out and blow the whistle, that’s what he is doing here. Late 5 past years or so the press is pissed at him as he makes bold declarations against the Empire, exposing war in Lybia, Zionism, etc. (along with recently deceased buddy Maitre Verges, an famous anti-imperialist lawyer, who defended Carlos the Jackal and other activists of this kind).

• candideschmyles says:

Thank you so much for linking back to that post on Zionism. I concur entirely with BennyB, it is a superb piece of rational analysis. Israel is in the sense you write indeed a fragile entity. But isn’t it possible that it is meant to be so? Does not its weaknesses and vulnerabilities give every excuse to be armed to the teeth? Israel has the ability to force the exodus of all remaining Palestinians whenever it chooses and knows it will receive nothing but yet another weightless resolution from the UN and the perennial apathy of the world.
            My best interpretation of Zionism is that it is not a movement but a device. It is a meme required for any political acceptance of plausible deniability of a nation sized military strike force of the western hegemony. I do not believe for a moment that those at the top of that pyramid would call it anything but an instrument. Walter Rothschild’s named it as his price to continue lending to the UK in the great war in which that family funded every side. But you know all this. My point would be that I don’t believe these people in that Mafia are believers of any religion or ideological concept. They are hard rationalists. They will sell you religion and flags, but they would never buy it.

• I think it’s unfortunate, but language does matter. I’m not one to buy into the fact that people should placate or be otherwise intimidated by disingenuous and sinister appropriations of language such as those employed by the Zionist pro-Israel lobby at the expense of the truth. Still, there are ways to get to the heart of the matter, even potentially in ways which are more profound, by acknowledging the trap and using language more cleverly, without diluting the message or sugarcoating the truth with superficial niceties.

Beyond that, what I liked particularly about what Camille said in the comment on the other post, among other things, is that the sort of “trap” I referred to above goes beyond language. Zionism and Israel, while they have their own particularities, have to be understood as a component of a larger structure with no loyalties beyond the goals of those at the top of the pyramid. Just like as is the case with language, the Zionists, Neocons, etc, could be looked at in some way as the magician’s ‘hot assistants’. While you’re being distracted by what’s immediately catching your eye geopolitically, the magician is pulling off the trick. In this case Israel and Zionism are the cleavage and flashy outfits on the hot assistants of the top power structures of what Camille refers to as the “globalists”, who are pulling the next crisis out of their hat or pulling another coin out of your pocket and making it disappear.

Since we wish to expose the slight of hand, it’s in our interest to try to keep some perspective on the idea that, while there certainly are specific nationalist and ideological goals behind different events, the idea that something like 9/11 and the policies based on that fiction, can be viewed as having been carried out at the behest of certain key players specifically over others, powerful as they may be, is in my opinion a misleadingly simplistic and often counterproductive reference point for analysis.

@Perry Watson: I think it would be a really sad day at BFP if members felt reluctant to express their views on Israel or Zionism out of concern for being ostracized or labeled as anti-Semites. While I tend to speak frequently on the subject matter and I do tend to lean in the direction that the amount of influence people attribute to Israel and Zionism is overstated, I believe that we have to be able to have a candid discussion about these matters without having to tiptoe around them for fear of stepping in the trap where one finds themselves coming under attack for having said something anti-Semitic, when this simply isn’t the case. BFP ought to be a place where we can challenge each other’s ideas as well as our own, in hopes of refining how we view and express these ideas without the kind of superficial tiptoeing or mud slinging that plague other forums. This has largely been my experience here and one of the things I value most.

• steven hobbs says:

Hi Candid,
          Your reasons for carefully parsing referential language is understandable and appreciated, as is Cuch’s espousal of our speaking freely. Me thinks we can err with the latter here. I too value considerations inclusive of Israeli hegemonic participation in the nefarious details of any region. Recently it was reported how IDF provided medical access to IS fighters. It’s surprising (or perhaps not) how Israel’s participation in the game is often left out of conversation. To our three most informative contributors I say: thank you.

2. Before there can be a Greater Israel, there has to be a plausible justification for Israel to take and hold territory adjacent to its present borders. The array of relatively weak and squabbling states surrounding Israel presently cannot reasonably be characterized as presenting an existential threat to Israel which could justify all-out war complete with taking and holding territory in the name of creating more-easily-defensible borders.

If ISIS were to succeed in consolidating Syria, Iraq, Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia into a so-called caliphate, Israel would have what it has so far lacked – a plausibly threatening enemy to wage war against, and seize territory from.

• An excellent observation Knarf. As it stands right now Israel has no serious threat to its national security visa vie the surrounding Arab nations. Their squabbling and internal politic problems suits Israel just fine at the moment. Let’s also not forget that Israel has been working secretly (not so secretly) with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states against Iran, so they don’t want the entire region to descend into chaos.

This may be part of Israel’s crackpot theory that ISIS is in the Sinai lobbing rockets into Israel. This gives them justification for their actions. I think it should be noted that ISIS is probably just claiming responsibility for these attacks with out actually having any fighters in the Sinai. Terror groups through out history have claimed responsibility for attacks they never committed.

Feel free to disagree but I am still not sure if the goal of ISIS is solely for Israel’s benefit. I think ISIS is more complex than that. As we said in the roundtable ISIS may also be about rehabilitating our old enemies back into our old friends. ISIS also represents more of an existential threat to places like Russia and Central Asia. This seems to be the direction that ISIS is leaning towards. To quote A Song of Ice and Fire, I don’t think ISIS is “All for Israel.”

On the note of Greater Israel I am also of the mindset that this may not be exactly what the government in Tel Aviv is going for. They have a difficult enough time dealing with the West Bank and Gaza. I don’t know how they would deal with multiple imperial colonies all over the middle east. Obviously they could install puppets like the PA, but the internal resistance would be so extreme not to mention the international outcry. The US can defend them in the international community when it comes to Palestine, but I’m note sure if that would work if Israel was ruling over the whole of the Middle East.

I keep coming back to the idea that ISIS is a place holder for some other terror entity we have yet to see. Neve the quickness wand vagueness with which ISIS came into being. There could be a new iteration of terrorism in the future that can withstand the test of time longer than ISIS.

• candideschmyles says:

Straight to your last point…

As I see it ISIS is the same device and operated by the same people and in the same way as Al Quaeda was at the turn of the century. Everywhere there is oil in the middle East and north Africa you find them there preventing native peoples getting a better life from the profits of their natural resources. The ramped up vision the msm paints of a more violent and extreme breed is a nonsense. Thugs with guns never change. They were beheading and raping, maiming and butchering just the same when they used the AL Quaeda moniker.
        That you can trace the demise of AL Quaeda back to the resignation of Saudis ex defence minister Bandar “Bush” Bin Sultan is all you need to know really. As he was the defacto head of AL Quaeda since its birth in the 90’s and, let’s give sick credit where sick credit is due, he did a pretty good job in his role in 9/11 and in projecting the subsequent illusion of an existential enemy. But it seems losing in Syria maybe upset someone who was waiting for him to slip up. There were reports he had been poisoned on Iranian Press TV but that may have been a veiled warning to him not to try a new offensive in Chechnya. A little warning from Putin via Iran he might find his peppermint tea should be stirred with a spoon that’s also a Geiger counter. Or he could still be in command, which was my presumption until very recently, and keeping a super low profile. If anyone sees any story what so ever about him I would appreciate getting it.
        I suppose I do still favour that last scenario but I have so little time to trawl the backwaters of the internet the past 18months. But the cold history does show an unholy trinity of Christian, Jew and Muslim super elites working with irrefutable complicity in the most audacious and hideous acts of stage managed brutalisation and robbery. And they use my taxes to fund it. It boils my piss.
        Since I mentioned Putin already its worth bearing in mind he has played a role in this too. His intervention to prevent US warships assisting the Syrian Rebels/ISIS was to protect Russia’s only international harbour except Crimea’s Sebastopol. I think in the Global Politic Russia’s naval base in Syria probably was a target. And love him or loath him you have to admit he countered some rapid moves on the Global chessboard with some adroit moves of his own.

• In the event a ISIS-ish caliphate did consolidate territory around Israel, the visible imperative to achieve defensible borders would simply outweigh concerns about administering the captured territory. Much if not most of the populace in the captured areas would be displaced or deceased, if not by the occupation of ISIS itself, then by the battle to push ISIS out.

Where is the international outcry NOW about ISIS executing children, burning prisoners alive, and sexually enslaving young girls? The best of all possible scenarios for Israel is to displace a super-heinous entity like ISIS, precisely so as to make the inevitable outcry an exercise in hypocrisy.

I agree there are probably more dimensions to ISIS than simply serving as a stalking horse for Israel. It may be used opportunistically as a cudgel against Iran and Russia, for example. It will almost surely be used as a vector to prosecute “strategy of tension” in Europe. It’s already a bogeyman in the US, with daily expressions of concern about ISIS camps just across the southern border, and ISIS elements coming across the border from Northern Mexico, Notwithstanding the simple logic that the LAST thing the cartels would want to allow in their territories is some bunch of clowns who are likely to attract the full military attention of the United States.

• albatross0612 says:

I like how you put it about ISIS being a place holder,

~ Bruce Kuniholm in discussing Turkeys future role out to 2028
        “Twenty-five years from now the critical power configurations among those with an interest in Eurasia are likely to be: (1) the United States, (2) a united Europe, (3) China, and (4) Russia. The critical question, as Zbigniew Brzezinski has noted in his thoughtful book The Grand Chessboard, which has helped inform my thinking, is which combination of these powers will dominate Eurasia, which holds 75 percent of the world’s population, produces 60 percent of its GNP, and has 75 percent of its energy resources.”

3. I think contrasting groups like Al Qaeda with ISIS as being more “moderate” serves the purpose of amping up how much of a threat ISIS is, which if you live in the region is significant. Here in the US? Not so much… Al Qaeda seemed to have become more benign in the public eye so something more legitimately “extreme” is a good way to keep the fear level high enough to keep the general public, particularly in the US, from asking whether or not our involvement in the “fight” against ISIS really serves our “national security”.

Also, as James in particular pointed out, ISIS really doesn’t seem to be politically motivated, where they actually have some sort of goals that they could articulate. They’re basically a threat to any form of structured government in the regions they plague. Perhaps to some extent there’s intentionally been little effort made to mask the fact that the US is really pulling the strings as a way of keeping the regional players conscious of the fact that ISIS can be nudged one way or another, if not controlled, and that this has to be kept in mind, even for supposed allies such as Turkey. This tactic certainly seemed to have been used to settle the dispute in Iraq over regime change and a more timely fashion.

Last, a more abstract speculation: perhaps there isn’t a clear goal, beyond sustaining a level of instability and chaos and making money off of related military expenditures for now until some ‘opportunity’ presents itself by chance within the relative chaos, which can be encouraged and/or exacerbated to further certain strategic goals. Particularly a potential scenario which draws Iran into the fold, forcing alliances or threatening existing ones. I think what’s going on with Saudi Arabia and Yemen could also be viewed as a part of this non-strategy “strategy”. As the Saudi’s days are numbered, letting them off the leash a bit to allow them to directly participate in causing misery for its neighbors is less of a gamble than it would be previously with the goal of maintaining “stability”.

A side note: something feels a bit wrong from time to time speaking so dryly and in a way which is so detached from the reality of the suffering which is at the heart of what’s being discussed. This isn’t a comment with any specific “point” behind it, just a bit of an introspective observation which crops up from time to time. Anyway…

4. candideschmyles says:

So many points above I agree with and want to add to that I don’t know where to start.

First I would say that that my compulsion to know and speak on these matters is driven by my moral compass. These matters are however so complex that they demand a distanced clinical analysis that already make word count stretch into reports. Achieving a rational and compelling narrative is closer in this thread than I have ever encountered on any forum. In my opinion we are getting to the facts. That is so important. And to date so missing.

Benny we agree that Israel is a device I think. ISIS is certainly no threat to it Jordan, Egypt or Turkey either. US sponsored yes men are back in power in Egypt and the US has resumed its multi-billion dollar arms shipments to give it power over its people. Jordan sits quietly in its corner offering its out of combat zone logistical and training services. The Turks much the same until their recent rise in profile as a transit point to the front with Putin backed Assad in Syria. Meanwhile ISIS has taken control specifically of oil fields in Syria, Iraq, Libya and their Nigerian counterparts Boco Haram do the same in West Africa. The ‘out of control’ splinter group of disaffected former Al Quaeda and Libayan rebels did try to copy the formula in Algeria but were hunted down in Chad and eliminated to the whim of its propaganda value in France. But oil is the link.

The reasoning is pretty obvious in my opinion. Nobody denies they are pumping the oil. Someone has to be buying it. And I find it no coincidence that the fall in oil price last year also coincided perfectly with ISIS taking back control of major oil fields from the Iraqi government. Of course the Saudi leadership control the training and arming of ISIS but the orders still are an agreement between the dons of the tripartite heads of US, Israeli and Saudi hegemony, or “the masters of the universe” as I believe they refer to themselves. And its reward aside from the ability to rape so many nations of their natural resources for personal profit is to maintain a substantial and invisible slush fund at a time when they make out they are shrinking their official military budgets. It is the age of assymetric global Mafia.

• candideschmyles,

I believe the drop in oil prices was the result of Saudi Arabia dropping the price per barrel dramatically. I don’t think it had anything to do with ISIS. At least not directly. What I do find ridiculous and repulsive is the fact that it’s being casually reported that ISIS is benefiting from the spoils of oil exports in the regions it’s taken control of. So, who’s buying the oil? This annoys me even more than reports about how “sophisticated” their promotional techniques and use of social media are.

“Hi, I’m Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. As CEO of The Islamic State Associates, when I’m not planning suicide bombings or beheading infidels, you can find me consulting with our partners in the oil fields, working to improve efficiency and passing on those cost benefits to the consumer, offering some of the most competitive pricing on the market. All this while overseeing the most strict compliance in worker safety regulations in the industry.

You can also find me working with our tech gurus, busy crafting our slick online brochures and sophisticated branding and social media outreach campaigns. While our competitors have dwindled and faded into obscurity in recent years following outdated ideals and business models, our gruesome videos and daring military exploits have brought a whole new generation of young jihadis into the fold, with new recruits streaming in daily! Come visit us online and you too could join us and become a part of history! Check us out on facebook and twitter and you can follow me, personally, using hashtag bagdadi.

At The Islamic State Associates, violent jihad is not just a principal, it’s a way of life.”

5. CuChulainn says:

nice one Benny

6. Well, if anybody using a browser worth the name (Firefox/Waterfox, Chromium), you will notice that the firm Hacking Team which was taking contract from government and companies alike to develop vulnerabilities….well they got hacked, website defaced to Hacked Team and all the computer exploits they were making on purpose for the gov and the other companies were unleashed. So if firefox tells you not to click a video on BFP from now on, until ALL flash video 0-day ways of attacking, spying, etc. through a flash video (which is not the owner’s fault, same is going on with youtube, thing is, with youtube, I just went to youtube,com/html5 and there all was fine, HTML5 has been dragged for too long when it comes to being implemented and Flash’s death always pushed away, this is what happens.

So for now, I suggest downloading audio versions, because Allowing flash, even for just this site, is foolishness (you’ll have noticed that your browser has disabled Flash if you look at the plugins section of the Add-Ons).

• CuChulainn says:

thanks for the tip marty
      is Firefox save to pocket or savefromnet any safer? what should we do if we have already downloaded videos with flash?

• So if firefox tells you not to click a video on BFP from now on, until ALL flash video 0-day ways of attacking, spying, etc. through a flash video (which is not the owner’s fault, same is going on with youtube, thing is, with youtube, I just went to youtube,com/html5 and there all was fine, HTML5 has been dragged for too long when it comes to being implemented and Flash’s death always pushed away, this is what happens.

Marty, Could you elaborate? I was just looking at some information on this Flash 0-Day Exploit and it occurred to me: I wonder whether there’s some sort of nefarious ulterior motive going on with this story. For example, if the goal of pushing Adobe’s video format into obsolescence for financial motivations. Or for similar reasons to what’s been exposed about Tor: that it actually draws attention to you as someone trying to protect your online identity rather than concealing it, as presented by Yasha Levine here (http://www.boilingfrogspost.com/tag/yasha-levine/) and elsewhere (http://yashalevine.com/).

My recollection is that you’re knowledgeable about web/tech software development, so this is not to challenge the basis of what you’ve stated here, it just seems like the sort of ulterior motive I hinted at might be something which hasn’t really been taken into consideration.

One of the real questions is who’s a greater threat “illegal” hackers or the government. Even pretty hard to draw the line there. Jackassess like Comey’s proposals about why they should be able to break encryption are about as bad as telling people that the government requires a master house key for all homes and access to all home alarm system codes so that they can protect you in the case where you’re being robbed or threatened by an intruder. Someone ought to go Petreas on his ass and perhaps bring him back down to reality.

• Hi Marty
      Just some extra info on Adobe Flash…
      May it…R.I.P
      Kind Regards
      Jens.

• Thanks Jens. There was some useful info there.

Hopefully this will raise the issue of why allowing this kind of government hacking and meddling with encryption is bad news. Furthermore, it’s a perfect analogy for what’s so assbackward about the way the intelligence agencies as a whole operate.

“It’s too hard tracking down the lone wolves. Hanging a few carcases out where we can see them is much more effective.”